Challenging Education Speaker Biography:
Kevin Hewitson has been an Assistant Head Teacher responsible for assessment, teaching and learning and Gifted and Talented. His aim has always been to engage and challenge both higher performing learners and those who see learning as a challenge. Kevin is the creator of a concept he refers to as ‘Learning Quotient’ which focuses on our ability to manage and understand our learning environment. Kevin has written for a number of online publishers including “Teachers Toolkit” and “UKEdChat” and is now writing “Understanding and Managing Learning needs”, his first book for teachers.
Learning Quotient Workshop outline:
We all have had those moments in the classroom where we feel that our children are out of control and consequently, we as staff, also feel out of control.
We all have had those moments in the classroom where we feel that our children are out of control and consequently, we as staff, also feel out of control. Believe me, I have been there. But what if we started to let our panic subside and see beyond the meltdown? Perhaps if we started seeing what that meltdown might be communicating to us? If we can take a step back and reflect on: what is driving the behaviour, how is it affecting me and my response and how can I plan for this behaviour? We just might be able to minimise meltdowns.
I spend time in this workshop reflecting on challenging behaviour exploring the behaviours that most challenge staff, the stages that happen in crisis, what causes meltdowns and, lastly, what are some practical solutions to managing those behaviours in the classroom? This is a reflective hands-on workshop that focuses on solutions.
- Able Learners and ADHD – Debra Troxclair
- Autism Spectrum Disorder – Dr Claire Hughes-Lynch
- Challenges in raising gifted children – Julie Taplin
- Differentiating Process – Tracy Inman
- Dual Exceptional Students – Eleonoor van Gerven
- Inclusion and Giftedness – Eleonoor van Gerven
- Learning Intelligence – Kevin Hewitson
- Learning Quotient – Kevin Hewitson
- Limiting exclusion – Laurie Cornwell
- Mental Health and Well-being – Dr Asha Patel
- Minimising Meltdowns – Clare Edmondson
- Motivating Resistant, Reluctant Gifted Learners – Diane Heacox